Old May 6th 08, 11:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.rotorcraft
Ash Wyllie

Default R-22 vs Mosquito

Stuart & Kathryn Fields opined

"The OTHER Kevin in San Diego" skiddz "AT" adelphia "DOT" net wrote in
message ...
On Mon, 5 May 2008 14:48:38 -0700, "Stuart & Kathryn Fields"
wrote:

I've heard for sometime that the R-22 is harder to fly than the little
ultralite Mosquito. This past week end I took a 1/2 hr ride in an R-22.
In
my opinion the cyclic in the R-22 with its lack of feel or any kind of
force
feedback is at least an order of magnitude more difficult to adjust to
than
the Mosquito. Had I tried to lift the R-22 off the grass without the
benefit of an instructor, I would probably have rolled it. On the other
hand I have soloed two versions of the Mosquito with no trouble. I think
agree with the wags that claim if you can fly the R-22 you can fly
anything.
It took me about 10 minutes before the instructor felt like leaving his
hand
off the cyclic. I now have some stick time in several versions of the Bell
47s, a Brantly, 300CB, several different Safaris, two different Mosquitos,
a Huey UH-1N and the Hummingbird. To date my pecking order in ease of
flight would start with the Huey, then the Mosquito, then the Brantly, then
a toss up with the Safaris and the Hummingbird, The Bells and the 300CB
and certainly last the R-22. I did like the governor tho.

Perhaps you're just not cut out to be a helicopter pilot and as such,
should give me the Baby Belle so it just doesn't sit and collect
dust...

Kevin: I am taking your suggestion under consideration. However, I'm kind
of slow in digging some of the suggestions out of the consideration box.
Yours may take a considerable amount of considering.
Stu

I'll exercise the Baby Bell for you while you are making up your mind.

I's nice to seesome ligitimate traffic here. But Belfort noticed it too, and is
back .

-ash
Cthulhu in 2008!
Vote the greater evil.