Old May 8th 08, 03:49 PM posted to rec.aviation.rotorcraft

Default R-22 vs Mosquito

On May 7, 10:21*am, "Stuart & Kathryn Fields" wrote:
"The OTHER Kevin in San Diego" skiddz "AT" adelphia "DOT" net wrote in
messagenews:mtm324pp09s3fdmmb8ouqamlr9q0fuhhhj@4ax .com...

On Tue, 6 May 2008 18:07:46 -0500, "Maxwell" luv2^fly99@cox.^net
wrote:

As simple, inexpensive, reliable and valuable as governors are, I can't
believe the are not included on every rotorcraft. It's just makes too much
sense.

The correlator on the Robbies is pretty good.. *Flying with the gov
off isn't a whole lot different than with it on...

One of the Schweizers I fly has a HORRIBLE correlator and you MUST be
good on the throttle to fly this particualr one smoothly.

That is why there are EP's (emergency procedures) for governor
failure. I have flown a turbine for 10 years without any hint of a
governor failure. DUring this time the governor timed out and was
rebuilt. I would much rather have a governor and EP's in the unlikely
event of a failure than no governor!

One bad thing about governors, as witnessed in the turbine pilots trying to
fly a non governed ship, is if the governor fails, hey sometimes electronics
do fail, *you have a real problem if you haven't practiced flying without it
and how many practice lazy pilots are out there?
All that said, I would like to have a governor when the workload gets high
like formation flying for photos, chasing coyotes at low altitude etc.
I didn't try flying the R-22 sans governor. *I was having all the fun that I
wanted trying to adapt to the cyclic. *The instructor, trying to be a nice
guy, told some stories about ex military pilots checking out in an R-22 and
using up quite a few hours. *It did make me feel a little better.

Stu