Old April 22nd 04, 04:48 AM
Kevin Brooks

"Gord Beaman" wrote in message
"DavidG35" wrote:

The AF stopped packing AR-7s in their kits many moons ago (I packed them)
the question should be for where you are back packing what are the
threats/needs for a weapon? if you want it just for "in case" just get an
inexpensive .38 to strap on your hip and get some incendiaries rounds for
it. If theres an actual possible threat as far as animals then go with

the
appropriate shotgun since you would not be shooting too far and it
eliminates the problem nicely, even if you miss!
Thats my 2 cents,
GMAN

Did you boys hear about the grizzly that someone shot in,
Alaska(?) I think?...bugger weighed around 1800 pounds. Supposed
to be the biggest Grizzly in the world. Had eaten two guys before
someone shot it with a 7(?)MM rifle. I have horrible pix

If it was a 7mm, it was probably a 7mm Remington Magnum round. And those
fellers do get big, don't they? When I went to Alaska, my first stop was to
visit a buddy stationed at Wainright flying UH-1V medevac helos. We talked
before I flew up there and I told him I was also going to be heading down to
the southern area to do some solo fishing. He vetoed my plan to bring my .45
along as my bear-persuader; I'll never forget his words: "Look, you need to
bring a *real* gun; I have seen grizzlies out here so big that I won't even
fly my Huey down near them..." So I took the 12 ga--and saw zero bears.
(But, to give you the Paul Harvey "rest of the story", the following year a
lady was killed hiking along a creek I had fished just outside Anchorage, so
taking a gun was not an unwise decision).

Brooks

--

-Gord.