Old February 22nd 19, 09:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Eric Greenwell[_4_]

Default We all talk about "oh poop planning" usually relating to near theground....another view...

Dan Marotta wrote on 2/22/2019 9:36 AM:
If you're new to self launch gliders, consider this advice:* Plan and be prepared
to have an engine failure as you would plan for an air or ground launch failure,
only consider the added altitude required to return to the runway due to increased
drag over a pure glider.* You likely won't be able to return to the runway with an
engine hanging up in the air stream.

Good advice, but the drag of the extended mast varies significantly between
gliders. My ASH 26E losing power is about like Blanik with a rope break at the
same altitude; ie, 200' AGL is "normally" enough. It's something you can try at
altitude safely, and review your logger file later (set it to 1/sec logging rate).