Old March 24th 04, 09:00 PM
RM

Magnus wrote in message ...
I've been looking around a bit for a good headset, any recomendations.
Is ANR worth it or not? Some people say it's bad because you can't hear
the engines so it takes longer to discover engine problems and makes it
harder to sync the props.

OK, I guess it's been a few years since I posted this story, so maybe
I'll be forgiven the repetion...

I was happily using a DC set when I ran into a kid who had been convinced
that he was going to make money on Cessna leasebacks. As a result of this
"investment," he was experiencing cash flow problems. I offered him half
price (cash) for one of his Bose sets and he snatched it.

So I took my new Bose and the DC sets up in a Tomahawk for a little cruise
around the prarie. After leveling off, I took off the DC and tried on the
Bose.

The Bose seemed quite nice, but I then switched back to the DC, just to see.
I was amazed that somehow in the few minutes that I had been wearing the
Bose, the DC had suddenly broken. It wasn't attenuating noise at all and the
racket was deafening.

That's how good they a going from an ANC set to a top-quality passive
makes the passive seem like no headset at all. I'd never go back.

Personally, I like Bose. I've tried Lightspeed and definitely prefer Bose
for both performance and comfort. Besides that, you do get great customer
service for that outrageous price.

Worth it? Couldn't say. I do believe they are the best, but maybe not $500
better than whoever is in second place, if you have to buy them new.