Old January 12th 05, 04:22 AM
G. Sylvester

There was also an accident in a large turbojet aircraft (727?) years ago (as I
recall it was a freighter) where the crew forgot to turn on the pitot heat
before takeoff. They were climbing when the pitot tubes iced up, and crew
responded to the increasing indicated airspeed by pitching up more and more
until they entered a stall/spin. Not good. Needless to say, the crew
perished.

I went to a (as in one) IFR ground class. The instructor was very good
but I simply decided to do it on my own. Nevertheless the one thing
i got out of the class was possibly the story above. He showed a clip
on a south american passenger transport jet (type?) where they just
repainted the plane and they left some kind of tape over the pitot
tubes. I would hope a ATP pilot flying jets could at least figure out
what is happening when they have a single point failure.

Gerald