Old November 30th 06, 05:20 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.ifr
Chad Speer

Default Chicago area from the southwest - advice?

wrote:

*****
Suggestion...

Schaumburg, 06C, fly into Schaumburg Airport and either a rental car
with AVIS in Schaumburg (847) 330 2847 (tell them Patrick from Hawai'i
sent you) or you can jump on the Metra train which has a stop at the
Stadium adjacent to the airport, it can take you downtown for about 5
bucks one way, within the hour

Fly into Lewis University Airport (I don't remember the Identifier),
rent a car at the AVIS station thats inside the GA terminal.

The upsides are free parking (last time I was at either a year ago),
and one of the most top-notch FBOs in the US, from my experience. Also,
it's a lot nicer to fly out of a basic small airport than it is to deal
with an arrival at Midway, especially on your first trip when you're
unfarmiliar with the airspace.
*****

Thanks for the reply (and you too, Andrew). I had initially selected
Lewis University Airport (KLOT) as my destination until I realized that
Google Maps was showing "Lincoln Park, IL" much further to the
southwest than it is. Once I entered an address, it was correctly
displayed. Strange and a little confusing. :-) I had hoped to avoid
a long drive for our hosts to pick us up, not knowing how bad traffic
would be.

Maybe an additional question should have been "How much hassle is
Chicago traffic on the weekend for a visitor?" I'd love to rent a car
if I can actually get around to some of the interesting places without
much hassle.

I just looked more closely at KLOT on a road map. Maybe I should land
here since I can jump out of my Archer and take Archer Ave from the
airport to downtown. ;-)

Now, I'm definitely hoping to take a lake shore tour in the plane. It
sounds ironically easy now that Meigs is closed. So much for security.
Any helpful tips or local procedures for the tour?

Chad Speer
PP-ASEL, IA
ATCS, Kansas City ARTCC