Old January 1st 07, 10:17 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Morgans[_2_]

Default ? Screw head diameter?

"jls" wrote

I know an A&P who bought all his screws for the rib-to-spar fasteners
and LE on a J-3 at the local hardware store. Does that mean he's loose
as a goose? Or looser?

I would have to believe that they do not meet specifications for repairing a
certified aircraft.

I might trust them for holding skin down, but not much more than that. No,
I take that back. I don't trust them that far.

Have you seen the quality of the hardware nuts and bolts and screws, lately?
Chinese steel is of such low quality, I would be surprised if it was 25% the
strength of a part to MilSpec part comparison.

No, I would not bet my life on the saving of a few bucks by using unknown
hardware screws. If I'm that short of cash, I will go fly model airplanes,
or something.
--
Jim in NC