Old October 20th 17, 01:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Mockler

Default air extractor for asw19 and asw20

At 02:17 18 October 2017, sisu1a wrote:
On Monday, October 16, 2017 at 8:03:30 PM UTC-7, JS wrote:
On Monday, October 16, 2017 at 6:47:55 PM UTC-7,

wrot=
e:
I just installed a very cool - pun intended - air extractor in my

ASW19=
.. Its a nifty device that replaces that little hatch cover where the
contr=
ol connections are. My guess is that it was made on a 3D printer.
Anywa=
y, I couldn=E2=80=99t believe how well it worked and so I=E2=80=99m
putting=
a shameless plug for that thing here. I got it from an outfit in the

UK
=
called LJ Panels. I don=E2=80=99t often get carried away raving things,
b=
ut this one is the cats meow.
=20
Is it anything like the ones that Paul Hanson sold years ago?
Jim

They are similar, but they adopted the dual 'louver' type outlet the
Jonker=
s team came up with. No form on treatment on the interior. Te parts are
las=
er sintered nylon so finish is quite rough (something between sandstone
and=
wood) until primed/sanded, though some Polyprimer and sanding would

make
t=
hem really nice.

My guess is they work at least as well if not better due to having higher
s=
urface area with the double outlet even with the forward louver is partly
b=
locked by the attach point, though likely to make a bit more noise with
the=
air hitting the outlet without any organization taking place on the
inside=
..=20

Wish I would have made my test pod to quantify this stuff, but never did
th=
ough I do still make/sell the hatches I have been in fiberglass,
prefinishe=
d with PCL 907 white to a #320 grit

After installing a Nixon special in my 20, I heard a burbling sound coming
from
the vent.
I reduced the size of the extractor opening using mylar.
Each flight I would trim another 1/8 inch until the airflow, in the
cockpit,
returned to original levels. Very nice setup.....
I now hear air leaking around the flap while in negative settings.

What sounds are heard due to this design?