Old March 17th 04, 02:28 AM
Helomech

"Mike Kanze" wrote in message
Helomech,

I still remember many of the "Sea stories" my Dad told me about his

cruises
aboard the Ranger in the early to mid 60's - I remember him talking about
Capt Duncan..........

Small World Story #649: My Dad was Air Boss on RANGER during much of

George
Duncan's tenure as Skipper. (Dad detached in early 1963.) That's how I
learned of George's interesting encounter with the roundown.

As a kid I heard many of the same "great Skipper" stories from him . One
example: George was noted for the trust and confidence that he placed in
his juniors - certainly after determining that they were worthy of that
trust. He thus had no problem with letting one of his Department heads
(Dad) take the ship in / out of port as part of the "incapacitated / dead
Captain" portion of the ORI. Other COs (like George's immediate

predecessor
on RANGER) would likely have **** O-6-sized bricks during this evolution.
Not George, according to Dad.

Hell, your Dad may have had the helm when my Dad had the conn.

--
Mike Kanze

"When you're majoring in abnormal psychology, ALL television is
educational!"

- Frank & Ernest, 3/9/04

Yes it is a small world............. There "are now / and were" some great
people in the Navy, like Capt Duncan......and so many others.

Hearing stories about them and the awesome lives and exploits of their
careers, is exactly why I stay subscribed to this newsgroup.........

Thanks.......

Paul - (Helomech - AIR CAV)!