Old August 6th 07, 08:14 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.ultralight,rec.aviation.soaring
James Sleeman

Default Electrically Powered Ultralight Aircraft

On Aug 6, 4:52 am, Larry Dighera wrote:
Electrically Powered Ultralight Aircraft

It's a nice idea, but realisitically there are too many problems, not
the least of which is battery size, weight, cost and safety. I don't
really see batteries as a viable in the near future (I struggle to see
them as viable in the distant future either).

That said though, I recently saw an article somewhere about an
electric car with a stirling engine tucked away in the back (Deam
Kamen was in on it somewhere - he's the Segway and fancy wheelchair
guy).

On the face of it, that seems like not a bad idea for how an electric
aircraft could be realistic - take your stirling engine, hook it
through a smaller, cheaper, lighter battery system to your electric
motor. The battery would act as a buffer (capacitor) to allow for
stored energy to do rapid changes in power to the drive motor, the
stirling engine would tick away at a constant rate feeding it's
generated electricy into the battery.

But then, I'm no engineer, I'm sure it's already been discounted as
impractical by the real engineers Maybe the stirling engine ends
up so big and heavy to produce the power required that it's useless.