Old January 20th 04, 12:43 PM
Stu Gotts

Well, it wouldn't be a real "Jay" airplane story if he didn't get
screwed just a little bit. Thanks for reminding us to keep on our
toes with ANY installation shop doing work. One thing that always
seems to work is saying something like "Don't do anything other than
what I've instructed unless I approve it". Always seems to work for
me. And you should query the seller for that no-big-deal part that
was missing. I'll bet it was shipped with the radio.

Are you able to retain any of the "new" warranty from Garmin?

On Mon, 19 Jan 2004 23:27:07 -0800, Jeff wrote:

my avionics guy never mentioned replacing the antenna for my xponder when he
installed the new 327.
I am still using the original one, working fine.

Jay Honeck wrote:

First thing they said when they opened the box was that the power cord
"safety connector" -- a metal clamp-like device that prevented accidental
disconnection of the transponder's power cord -- was not present. No big
deal, they had the part on-site, but it had me worried about the whole
deal -- what else might be missing?

In fact, the only thing I didn't like was that they installed a new Garmin
transponder antenna, without asking, because it was "recommended by Garmin."
It was "only" an extra $150 -- cheap, in aviation -- but it still bugs me
that they threw away a perfectly functional antenna because it wasn't the
"spade" kind that Garmin recommends.

--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA