Old May 17th 04, 07:37 AM
Steve Hix

In article ,
(Paul Krenske) wrote:

On Sun, 16 May 2004 05:58:15 GMT, "Thomas J. Paladino Jr."
wrote:

snip
I do know, however, that the Air Force has specifically requested that the
AC-130 gunship replacement (AC-X; whatever that may be), be equipped with
directed energy weapons.

http://www.globalsecurity.org/milita...craft/ac-x.htm

Quote - 'Special operators want the new gunship, or AC-X, to be much
smaller than a C-130, with fewer crew members. They want it to be
stealthy, with the speed and maneuverability of a long-range jet
fighter. They want it equipped with directed energy weapons and
non-lethal technologies, and it should be able to engage targets from
any angle-above and below, front and back. '

So in effect they want the ultimate combat plane

Faster than a F22, with greater range, more maneuverable, Small as
well, with more automation, with the ability to annihilate or stun
anything in sight in any direction.

At just 2 billion US$ a copy it's a steal.

To me it looks like the Special forces want to take over the entire US
air force, or have speed machine envy, or are setting a very high
bargaining position.

With that as their initial position, their *real* position should look
very reasonable. :}