Old September 28th 17, 08:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mike Schumann[_2_]

Default Glider near miss with Airliner (emergency climb) near Chicago yesterday?

I have a Dynon Skyview System with the SV-GPS-2020 GPS source installed in my Phoenix Motorglider. Having a full blown ADS~B IN / OUT system is eye opening. It’s astounding how much traffic there is that you never see visually.

We keep talking about airliners. At least as big a threat to gliders is other GA traffic, particularly when you are near airports. One of the closest calls I have had was landing a glider at a small rural airport, and while on the base leg discovering a helicopter hovering just off the arrival end of the runway. Turns out that the helio pilots were so engrossed in a BFR that they never heard my calls on the CTAF frequency and only realized I was in the area when I landed in the grass right next to them.

If we had universal ADS-B deployment on all aircraft, including gliders, balloons, drones, etc. we would all be a lot better off. It’s frustrating that the FAA has an attitude that they would rather not see COTS GPS at all rather than face the inconvenience of routing aircraft around a false position. It’s a bummer that Trig hasn’t been able to get the TN72 OKed for installation in a certified glider. Given this latest incident in Chicago, the SSA and AOPA should make it their top prriority to get the FAA to relax their standards for this kind of equipment.