Old January 20th 04, 02:21 AM
jls

"Bill A." wrote in message
ink.net...
I'm still trying to select an aircraft to build from scratch and it's
starting to look like it's coming down to the engine (budget reasons of
course). I really like the Pietenpol Aircamper but from what I've read you
need a Rotex

Rotax? Nope. Pietenpols use old Ford A-Model engines, Corvair engines,
and affordable old Continentals like the A-65 and C-85. If you are on a
tight budget in Southern California, the Pietenpol Aircamper may be the way
to go. Do a google and you'll find all kinds of Piet groups. The Piet
clan gather every summer in Brodhead, Wisconsin for a fly-in. It is said
that if you visit with them a spell will be cast over you and you'll be a
Piet-head for the rest of your life.

or other "aircraft" engine and of course that's expensive. I
was also thinking of the Volksplane, which I don't like as much but it can
use a VW engine which I can find cheap and I've torn down and rebuilt a
couple of them so I'm more familiar with them.

So the question's are.does anyone have experience (good or bad) with a VW
engine in an Aircamper? What other scratch build planes work well with VW
engines other then the Volksplanes? What other engines would fall into the
same price range has a VW (which I would be getting used and rebuilding
myself)?

Thanks all

Bill A.

Canoga Park, CA

PS. If anyone has a Pietenpol, Volksplane, or similar plane in the LA area

sure would like to take a look at it.