Old March 16th 04, 12:15 AM
Eric Greenwell

John wrote:

Keep the current latch (rod pivots and goes thru two posts on my
plane). Add a secondary latch that is closed based on position...like
your car door. In effect, we have automatic canopy latching just like
we have automatic control connects. Shut the canopy, it is latched
automatically, then push the rods thru the posts just like you do now
for a redundant, secondary lock. Add a bailout lever that disengages
both latches and you do not effect egress in emergencies.

When you shut your car door, it is latched shut automatically. To
open, you have to pull the door handle. How hard would it be to
design a canopy that would latch shut automatically each time you
close the canopy?

My recollection is most in-flight canopy openings happen to side hinged
canopies. A latch like you suggest would surely be an asset for them.
The Blanik L13 does this already. My forward opening canopies does have
a catch in back that latches like you say, but it's purpose is to
provide the Roeger-hook function.
--
-----
change "netto" to "net" to email me directly

Eric Greenwell
Washington State
USA