Old March 14th 06, 01:34 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

Default GPS Question

"Peter Clark" wrote in message

Who knows, the arc is based off the VOR/DME transmitter. I believe I
corrected that oversight in a later response.

Who knows? Everybody that understands the applicable publications.

None. Distance is from the VOR/DME transmitters, or in the case of an
ILS/DME the I-whatever. For these approaches I'm substituting the
GPS distance readout instead of having an actual DME box and using the
VOR head to drive the CDI for cross radials. Flying a DME arc is
specifically listed as a permitted operation in the AIM
1-1-19(f)(1)(a)(2).

Right. No navaid provides lateral guidance on the final approach course for
either of these IAPs. Why would lateral guidance be needed on an instrument
approach anyway?

It appears you were fibbin' when you said you weren't trying to be obtuse
here.

No, because there's no GPS overlay.

Right answer, wrong reason.