Old May 27th 04, 04:31 PM
Richard Kaplan

"Teacherjh" wrote in message

Apples and oranges. The sim thing has to do with currency checks only.

Mode S
affects flying itself. You are just complaining that your profit center

got
weaker.

The underlying concept is far more significant and widespread than just my
particular business model -- it affects everyone involved in any area of
aviation.

Actually, my particular business model would be minimally affected even if
there were a definitive ruling that the PTS is binding upon a CFII; most of
my students are within 6 months of currency so using my FTD to log IFR
Currency would serve the same purpose as an IPC, and I also try to fly in an
airplane with my students whenever possible in addition to the FTD.

The much bigger issue though is the question of the the FAA arbitrarily and
on relatively short notice changing some standard or rule in the name of
safety. What if they all of a sudden required all A&P mechanics to have a
repair station license and prohibited indepdendent A&Ps? What if they
prohibited Part 61/91 training and required all instruction to be in a Part
141/142 environment? What if they decided as of next year your airplane had
to be modified to meet today's certification requirements instead of the
requirements as of the day your airplane received its type certificate? You
could make an argument in the name of "safety" for all of these situations.

Richard Kaplan, CFII

www.flyimc.com