Old December 1st 07, 08:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.misc
Maxwell

Default How to make a spinner

"John Szalay" wrote in message
42...
wrote in

Its really an art...

The metal in the video looked like stainless. How is
aluminum spun without it galling on the tool? Do they use a roller
instead of the bar?

Dan

Depending on the metal being worked, for Aluminum IIRC: we used a type
of animal fat. later we used a Teflon spray to coat the metal .

Stainless and aluminum both work harded, so its best if you can do the
spin in one push or a series of pushes.
there were some spins that we had to place the metal in the oven at a
low heat for a short time to anneal it , to continue.

Copper was the worst. took several annealing cycles if you did'nt get
in one run..

The guy in the video was good.. that was impressive..

at the end of that video, It looked to me, that what he sprayed on
the part was a solvent so that he could clean the the lube off it..

one of the hardest things to learn is to not get in a hurry, if you
push to hard and fast, you end up bunching the metal and crashing.
that where the skill comes in, I know I crashed a lot at first..
its been years since I did any..

We always used metal tools, some with rollers, some with "Spoons"
but notice the size of the handles on the tools in the video.
They are stout, for a reason.. you need that strength on the tool and
on the spinners body..

IIRC, when I saw them making these in production, they used a large
hydraulic tracer lathe, and did them in one shot.