Old March 24th 09, 05:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Steven P. McNicoll[_2_]

Default LAS approaches

Ron Garret wrote:

Some questions about flying to LAS:

1. The RNAV RWY 1R (http://naco.faa.gov/d-tpp/0903/00662R1R.PDF) has
two IAFs: BOACH and SKEBR. I can find BOACH on the enroute chart (on
V21 between WHIGG and CRESO) but not SKEBR. Where is it?

SKEBR is on the LAS R-211 at 28 DME, you'll find it on the CLARR TWO STAR:

http://naco.faa.gov/d-tpp/0903/00662CLARR.PDF

2. Same question for KACCY intersection, which is the IAF for the
VOR/DME-A (http://naco.faa.gov/d-tpp/0903/00662VDA.PDF)

KACCY is on the LAS R-180 at 16.5 DME. I can't find it on any enroute chart
or STAR, but it does have a feeder route from BLD VORTAC.

3. The route I get from DUATS low-altitude auto-routing (from VNY)
ends at OASYS (on V394), which does not appear to be the IAF for any
approach. Am I missing something? Is DUATS broken? If I were
cleared "as filed" and lost comm, which should I do when I got to
OASYS?

You mean if you suffer some bizarre failure in IMC that prevents you from
receiving on any comm radio but leaves your other avionics unaffected? You
should get your airplane on the ground before it does spread and you lose
your ability to navigate. Pick an approach that you feel is most
advantageous to you, broadcast your intentions in the event that your
transmitter is still functioning, squawk 7600 briefly to let ATC know you
can't hear them (they probably know already), squawk 7700 briefly to let
them know you consider it an emergency, then return to your original code
for better tracking and to silence any annoying alarms. Fly your approach
and land.