Old September 2nd 03, 08:51 PM
Ray Andraka

I have a similar problem with the Foster 500 Loran in my plane. I'd like to
update the database, which was last done 4/96 so that the airport identifiers
are correct and to correct for a few VORs that have been physically moved.
Been watching ebay, but the databases on those are even older. Does anyone
know what the format is in the Foster500 cartridge and whether one could be
updated by massaging a GPS database update and burning it into the cartridge
using an EPROM programmer? I'm not in a hurry to put a panel mount GPS in as
the negligible increase in capability over the existing setup (I have a hand
held GPS) does not justify the steep cost. Since my autopilot can use the
LORAN for input, I'd like to have a reasonably up to date database.

Roger Long wrote:

The manual just says 800 but there is a page on Optional Datacards.
"Flybuddy Plus is the datacard option and is available as an upgrade for
Flybuddy pilots."

Our unit has a datacard slot in the front and there is something in it but
it may just be a cover or blank plug. Nothing that it says would be on an
optional datacard is active.

Could the data card slot be there and internal components required to read
it missing i.e., part of the upgrade referred to in the manual?

This unit does a fine job for the simple airspace we mostly fly in. I'd
like to put off a GPS purchase for a couple years but it would be nice to
have a database that doesn't predate the change in identifiers of many
airports.

Purchasing a more recent plus version for $150 and swapping it in sounds
like a good option to me, thus my original post. I guess I'll look around
on Ebay.

--
--Ray Andraka, P.E.
401/884-7930 Fax 401/884-7950