Old November 30th 03, 10:16 PM
David Megginson

Jay Somerset wrote:

You will be vectored, almost certainly. They will probably have defined
landing and takeoff runways (listen to ATIS in advance). You can always ask
for an exception, but it'll probably delay your landing.

From the airport diagram of KPHL, I guessed that it might be a little like
my home airport, Ottawa. Ottawa usually has two preferred runways: one in
the north field (GA) and one in the south field (anyone, but especially
transport). Philly seems to have a well-defined east field with runway
08/26 and the FBO out of the way of the rest of the airport.

4. How flexible is customs and immigration in Philly? Are they easy to work
with? I can always land and clear U.S. customs at Watertown or Syracuse if
Philadelphia is going to be a pain.

My suggestion is to clear in Syracuse or Watertown. If the customs guy is
on-site in watrerown, do it there -- if he has to drive out to the airport,
do it in Syracuse. Waiting until you get to Plilly is dangerous, as an
unexpected diversion (weather, engine trouble, or just a too-full bladder)
will cause you all sorts of grief if you are expected at PHL.

That's what I'm wondering about. The last time I tried clearing early, it
added an hour and a half to my trip. I've heard about the $5000 fines, but
I'm curious about how it works out in practices. Last time, when I was
stuck waiting, in Massena, there was a Learjet full of Mexican racing fans
who were two hours late (without notice or a good excuse), and they got
nothing worse than a tongue-lashing.

Also, do not rely on ADCUS -- phone the local Customs number for whichever
airport you finally select.

Thanks -- COPA's really drilled that one into our heads recently.

Not offhand -- I assume that you have current charts and airport info
(AF/D), and approach plates if you are filing IFR.

Yep -- a big bundle at my local map store.

Thanks for the info.

All the best,

David