Old October 19th 16, 02:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Daly[_2_]

Default SZD-55 aileron play

My SZD-55 (built 1990) had developed play in one aileron over the years. A powerpoint presentation with the relevant Flight Manual pages (allowable play), drawing of aileron system (Tech Svc Manual), and additional drawings and part numbers required to effect the fix, including the cause, and pictures of the fix, are in the files section of the SZD-55 Yahoo! Group. The fix - brass bushing replacement - is not expensive (32 EUR/pair of bushings), and was completed in an hour during my recent annual inspection (with the ppt, probably a half hour, with basic tools and a couple of friends). If your 55 has aileron play/slop, this might be your fix.
To join the group: . You have to have a 55.
I looked at other SZD products (Junior, Puchacz), and their aileron drives are different, so this wouldn't apply to them - probably the thinner airfoil on the 55 drove the design.

Dan
2D