Old September 27th 19, 07:04 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Eric Greenwell[_4_]

Default Kawa rough landing?

Dave Nadler wrote on 9/27/2019 5:56 AM:
On Thursday, September 26, 2019 at 9:19:04 PM UTC-4, 2G wrote:
On Thursday, September 26, 2019 at 5:57:40 PM UTC-7, Dave Nadler wrote:
On Thursday, September 26, 2019 at 3:21:49 PM UTC-4, 5Z wrote:
IMHO, the dire warnings about poor LD on the POH are there to avoid any
liability if someone decides to sue after an engine extended mishap.

Eric and 5Z - Please don't ASSUME that all gliders are as benign as 26
with motor out and stopped. They are not. You are doing the community a
great disservice by ASSUMING that its not a big problem for some gliders.
Including types with many in service.

Please be safe out there,
Best Regards, Dave

And you are doing the community a disservice by not naming those MGs.
We are, at least, speaking from first-hand knowledge and ALWAYS state
the gliders that we have direct experience with.

As I posted above, the worst offender I've personally flown was my V2CM.
Even within a type, there have been different versions, especially changes
in prop. When stopped, the tapered prop of the 26 has less drag than some
of the earlier squarer props (didn't the original 26 have one of those??).

I don't have time to list all the gliders I've flown, but more than a few ;-)

My 26E has the blunt "tongue depressor" style prop. It doesn't seem to make a
noticeable difference in drag, compared to the newer pointy prop.

We don't want a list of all the gliders you've flown, but just the ones with the
"plummet mode". Pilots often ask me about the characteristics of various
motorgliders, so I'd like to know which ones to caution the about. The V2CM is on
the list, but it's the only one I'm aware of.