Old March 15th 07, 10:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
R. Lee Jarvis

Default lights and transponder

I fly a Luscombe 8A with no electrical system, thus of course without lights
or transponder. I must land before sundown, but other than that I have no
problem.

Without an engine driven electrical system, I'm legal to fly within the mode
C veil, though I cannot enter B or C airspace without prior notice (1 hour).
Having said that, I'd also say that being legal isn't necessarily being
wise. There are reasons that transponders are ordinarily required in some
areas. I stay out of the veil, avoid B airspace altogether and only enter C
airspace rarely when there are no other suitable airports.

Most controllers are fine with you entering C airspace, though some are real
jerks. I was flying my daughter up to Savannah for a college visit last
November. There were no other small GA airports in the area where I could
pick up a rental car, and Hilton Head was a 45 minute drive. So, SAV it was.
I called the tower a day or two in advance to let them know I was coming and
asked if there were a particular time that I should avoid. The tower
supervisor said that an arrival between 15:00 and 16:00 local was best.
After stopping for fuel in Jacksonville, I called again (that's a least an
hour out in a Luscombe!). Again, I received friendly and professional
service. But, when I got closer to SAV and contacted approach, this guy was
the rudest, most obnoxious SOB I'd ever dealt with. I literally had to quote
him FAR chapter and verse, and even then he made it clear he wished I'd just
go away.

On the other hand, my wife and I flew into Columbus a couple of weeks ago,
controllers couldn't have been friendlier or more helpful.

On the whole, I enjoy flying the Luscombe. It's a real low-tech, low-stress,
low-cost, fun-flying machine that draws an admiring and reminiscing crowd
wherever it goes, and I rarely find the lack of transponder to be a serious
drawback.

Regards,
Lee

"Robert Loer" wrote in message
Can someone simplify this answer for me me, please as it is nearing
decision time on my project?

With no lights and or transponder, where will I not be able to fly?

Thanks guys.