Old August 5th 05, 11:07 PM
Paul Lynch

Ah figures lie and liars figure. Actually you are comparing statistical
apples and oranges.

If a single VOR fails in your area, or worse on your approach, you have a
little to a big problem depending on the circumstances. If a single
satellite fails for the area you are operating you are not likely to even
know it because so many other satellites are still available to provide no
worse than about 60M accuracy.

PK

"Jose" wrote in message
. ..
No, it addresses the failure of a VOR and the failure of a GPS satellite.

No, it doesn't =address= this, it =uses= this to =address= the original
point.

you're now comparing the failure of about 0.1 to 2% of the VOR system to
the failure of about 69% of the GPS constellation.

... which is my point. A single VOR failure brings down 0.1% to 2% of the
VOR system. A single failure brings down 69% of the GPS system. (your
numbers - I don't believe the 69% part and haven't verified the 0.1% to 2%
part though that sounds reasonable)

Jose
--
Quantum Mechanics is like this: God =does= play dice with the universe,
except there's no God, and there's no dice. And maybe there's no