Old February 10th 05, 04:39 AM
Andrew Sarangan

You are correct. It doesn't make sense. Now you have made me think about
this.

My reasoning was based on my distrust of the written exams. Most
questions are not based on reality. Who cares if you can calculate fuel
burn down to the last 1/10th of a gallon? I tell my students to get the
written test behind them quickly so that they can start to learn the
useful stuff. Also, the CFI written tests do not require endorsements.
But the CFI test probably carries the most potential damage. An ill-
informed CFI can cause more damage than an ill-informed private pilot.

However, your point is valid, and I will reconsider my statement.

"Peter Duniho" wrote in
:

"Andrew Sarangan" wrote in message
1...
[...] There should not be any charge for this service as it only
takes a few minutes to do, and whether you pass or fail does not
reflect back on us.

Of course it does. There may be no FAA penalty associated with a
student's failure, but when you sign off for the student to take the
written, you are making a claim that you know the student to be
properly prepared to take the written.

Maybe you view it differently, but when I say something, I do my best
to make sure I know what I say to be true.

Are you suggesting that if there were no penalty to you as an
instructor for signing off a student to take the practical exam, that
you would have no problem signing off a student for that exam even if
you'd never talked to the student before and never planned to see him
again? That seems bizarre to me.

Pete