Old February 10th 05, 11:38 PM
Andrew

Peter Duniho wrote:

Also, the CFI written tests do not require endorsements.
But the CFI test probably carries the most potential damage. An

ill-
informed CFI can cause more damage than an ill-informed private

pilot.

But with or without an endorsement, the CFI applicant still needs to

pass
the test. An endorsement doesn't affect the applicant's performance

on the
test at all.

Which is to say that I agree that the requirement for an endorsement

seems a
little dumb. As you suggest, the requirement may be a legacy of when

students weren't paying for the test. Today, if a student wants to

pay the
exorbitant fee for a test, even when they aren't prepared to pass it,

why
not let them? Who would it hurt?

I just think that regardless of how silly one thinks a requirement

is, one
ought to still consider their integrity when making endorsements. If

one is
willing to make a written statement that a student is prepared for a

test,
one ought to actually verify that the statement is true. I'm happy

to hear
you agree (or are at least willing to consider agreeing ).

Pete

I totally agree with you on the last statement, and I am going to
reverse my position from before. I also agree that it is not a good
practice to sign off someone just because it doesn't reflect on the
CFI's record. In fact, after some thought, I think it may even be a
good idea to hold the CFI responsible for the students pass/fail on the
written. The written exam, like the practical exam, is just a small
sampling of the candidate's knowledge. The exams are not comprehensive
evaluations of the student. As an educator, I should have known this.
So it is quite possible for someone to slip through the cracks without
the proper knowledge. The only way to reduce such slips is have several
exams. Then the likelihood of someone slipping through the system will
be minimized. If the endorsement process is treated like an exam (like
it is done for the practical test), then there will be fewer slips. As
in everything, this will impose on the good students, who will have yet
another hoop to jump through.