Old December 2nd 09, 12:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Flaps_50!

Default Check your gas.

On Dec 2, 9:32*am, "vaughn"
wrote:
"Flaps_50!" wrote in message

Seems like glider piloting is a problem (it can't be the iron fairy)
or is there another cause?

* Measuring accidents on the basis of flight hours does not necessarily give you
the whole picture. * If you had ever spent much time at a glider training
operation, you *would quickly see part of the difference between power training
and glider training, and how the statistics can get skewed when you only look at
flight hours. *Glider primary training flights tend to be so short that students
traditionally count "flights" rather than "hours". *With gliders or airplanes,
accidents happen overwhelmingly on takeoff or landing. * As it turns out, glider
students spend a greater percentage of their flight time in those two
(statistically more dangerous) phases of flight.

I see. Thanks.
About how many take off and landings does a student do before first
solo? In a powered plane you do about 4 /flight hour in that phase
(looking at my log book). My 3 hours solo consolidation logged 17 take
off and landings. Is that very different to gliders?
Cheers
Cheers