Old November 5th 13, 09:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
HGXC[_2_]

Default Glider Handling on Tow

On Tuesday, November 5, 2013 2:58:54 PM UTC-5, Papa3 wrote:
On Tuesday, November 5, 2013 1:10:33 PM UTC-5, John Carlyle wrote:

A question for any aerodynamicists out the why does low aero tow speed adversely affect the handling of a glider so drastically?

-John, Q3

Is it Winter already? This is one of those frequent threads (along with gelcoat maintenance, is the PW-5 the spawn of Satan, and the Downwind Turn) that come up every few years. As recently as two winters ago it was "Aerodynamics of Towing". If you search on some combination of "aerodynamics" and "tow" or "aerowtow" you'll see at least three primary generations of the thread. For instance:

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!searchin/rec.aviation.soaring/aerodynamics$20of$20towing/rec.aviation.soaring/C69yZmsaFe0/JqUTgv_G5HQJ

I don't think there is anything wrong with renewing a few classic discussions. There are always new pilots like myself who can benefit but wasn't around back in the day. I have flown Hang Gliders for nearly 40 years and managed glider blogs and know there are from time to time repeated topics.I don't see the harm in reintroducing them.