Old May 8th 05, 03:23 PM
Larry Dighera

On Sun, 08 May 2005 02:03:36 GMT, George Patterson
wrote in Yrefe.191$Ws6.177@trndny07::

Larry Dighera wrote:

So, no -- CAP does NOT have a "drug interdiction" mission.

Have you seen this:

http://www.avweb.com/news/atis/184424-1.html
July 15, 1998

Well, that *was* 7 years ago. Perhaps things have changed.

So it would appear:

http://www.aopa.org/whatsnew/newsitems/1998/capop.html

CAP advises AOPA on Operation Drop In
July 14, 1998 — Civil Air Patrol (CAP) advised AOPA this morning
that by vote of the CAP National Board, it will discontinue
participation in the FAA Operation Drop In program.
"However good our motives and the program results were, the
perception within the flying community that CAP members were
"spying" on fellow pilots is unacceptable.

"Our roots are within general aviation, and the damage to the CAP
image and reputation has reached a point where our future
participation in the program is untenable."

Excerpt from CAP press release:
"Though we will continue to assist government agencies, as
directed by Congress, we wish to refrain from any activity that
could be construed as adversarial to general aviation," said Brig.
General James C. Bobick, CAP National Commander.

"CAP is part of the general aviation community and a large segment
of our membership is made up of general aviation pilots.
Therefore, after great reflection, CAP's National Board decided to
reconsider participation and voted to withdraw from the program."

"....CAP was able to ascertain that the primary objection to our
participation in the program was not the reconnaissance of
airports for drug trafficking, but was due to the posturing of
many very vocal individuals with one thing in common: private
citizens should not be performing these functions for a regulatory
agency.

"Civil Air Patrol members have achieved impressive results from
the Drop-In program. A number of stolen aircraft have been
recovered, according to the FAA, and several hundred aircraft
previously suspected of drug trafficking have been identified.

"However, strong opposition and the reporting of erroneous
information began to undermine CAP's ability to perform this
particular tasking, and most disturbing, its ability to
effectively conduct some other mission elements.