Old April 24th 21, 06:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default New Soaring Software for iPhones - Lufty

On Saturday, April 24, 2021 at 11:58:07 AM UTC-4, Ramy wrote:
What Patrick says. I have an iPhone in my pocket and like my iPhone. I want to be able to continue using it for everything else, phone calls, taking photos and what not. For a flight computer (in my case it is the backup flight computer) I rather have a dedicated no data plan smartphone (I recommend Samsung Galaxy 8 plus or better for couple hundred bucks) running XCSoar and nothing else (I actually also run IGCDroid for tracking).

Ramy
On Saturday, April 24, 2021 at 6:53:52 AM UTC-7, Patrick (LS6-b EH) wrote:
Stephen, just get an old Android device and run XCSoar.

No data, easy file management, fully-featured. I just don't understand the preoccupation with inferior flight computers on iOS because people won't shell out $60, not $6000 for a flight computer solution used by world champions. XCSoar isn't just attractive because it's free, it's attractive because it's effective and it's free.

I can hardly remember my days using Soar Pilot on a Palm.

This is the way.

How many people at the Worlds are using iGlide. lol. Oh, I crack myself up...

If we weren’t open to new software options, we’d all be browsing using Netscape!