Old July 17th 06, 01:49 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jim Macklin

Default Advice on PPL

Flying only once per month is a waste of your money, you
just can't make effective progress at that rate. You'll be
spending money and each lesson will be mostly review of what
you forgot in the past 29 days.

Save your money until you can afford to fly at least twice a
week, three times is better.

As far as Australian rules, I'm in the USA and we now have
certificates issued for Student pilot, you just have to be
breathing. Light Sport Pilot requires 20 hours total time
and allows you to fly Light Sport Aircraft 92 seats, simple,
like a Piper Cub. Recreational Pilot has many restrictions
on where you can fly and never became popular in the USA.
The Private Pilot certificate requires 40 hours and is
limited to non-commercial, paid flying. The experience
gained at each level is transferable and applicable to the
next higher certificate. Using a less expensive airplane,
with lower cost and performance saves money.

Here are links to the USA rules
http://ecfr.gpoaccess.gov/cgi/t/text...61_main_02.tpl

Google for Australian pilot license and see
http://www.casa.gov.au/ for your laws and other useful
links.

Browsing they have these links
http://www.casa.gov.au/fcl/learntofly.htm
http://www.casa.gov.au/fcl/stages.htm
http://www.casa.gov.au/fcl/fcl_req.htm

--
James H. Macklin
ATP,CFI,A&P

"Crash Lander" wrote in message
| Hi guys and gals!
| Just heard about this group from a regular here (I think
he's a regular
| here!), and thought I'd take the opporyunity to ask a
question that's been
| bugging me.
| I am going to start flying lessons within the next few
months, come hell or
| high water, and have started investigating what is
involved. Due to budget
| constraints, the lessons will be fairly thinly spaced,
probably only 1
| lesson a month, but maybe 2 or 3 in the first month.
(Gotta love a decent
| tax refund cheque!)
| I live in Australia, so this question relates to
regulations in Australia.
| (Obviously! :-))
| I have been told by a guy I know who flies for Cathay
Pacific, that I can
| learn to fly in an 'Ultra Light' and still nd up with a
PPL. By Ultra Light
| he means something like a Jabiru, and not a hang glider
with a lawnmower
| engine bolted on the back. He indicated that it would be
much cheaper, and
| I'd only need about 5 hours in a Cessna to complete the
licence.
| One flight school I rang, actually suggested I use their
Jabiru to learn in,
| and I'd end up with a full PPL at the end, puely with
lessons in the Jabiru!
| Is this correct? Can it be done in this type of a/c from
start to finish?
| (Talking only to PPL here, no IFR ratings or night ratings
or anything like
| that.) If so, it seems like the way to go for me. The
flight school said the
| average cost would drop from around $12,000 to around
$8,000 in total! The
| flight school said the Jabiru, or Gazelle for flight
instruction is $30
| cheaper per hour than a C150, and $60 cheaper per hour
than a C172 or PA28!
| If I can end up with a PPL from the Jabiru or Gazelle, am
I then still
| licenced to fly the Cessnas, or am I only qualified to fly
the smaller
| Jabirus or Gazelles?
| Sorry for the dumb questions, but a guy needs to start
somewhere.