Old January 5th 09, 08:20 AM posted to rec.aviation.military.naval
Keith Willshaw[_4_]

Default Corsair / Hellcat Discussion

"Jack G" wrote in message
Not a "Which was the best fighter" but a discussion of the strengths -
weaknesses of each. Since the Hellcat had limited post WW II use, I would
like to limit discussion to the WW II service of each type. I would be
especially interested in any comments about the Fleet Air Arm (British)
use of both types. I have access to all of the performance and technical
specifications for each type by the way.

The criticism the FAA had about the Hellcat was that the Americans
wouldnt supply enough of them

The Corsair seems to have been a much more difficult aircraft
to operate off carriers, especially the early models. The RN persisted
with it after it failed its US carrier quals and found the extra performance
it offered over the Hellcat worth the trouble.

Both types operated with the RN during the air attacks on Tirpitz but
the Luftwaffe was conspicuous by its absence and the Hellcats seem
to have been operating as fighter bombers carrying 500lb AP bombs.

In the Pacific both types were used as escorts for Avengers on strikes
with the shorter range Seafires operating the CAP. A number of the
British carriers had insufficient hangar headroom to operate either
Hellcats or Corsairs which is why the Seafires were included in the
British Pacific Fleet

Keith