Old January 22nd 04, 08:31 PM
OutofRudder

"Jim Fisher" groupaddy said:

one just has to question why your CFI (whom you
pay), the FBO (whom you pay), and the owners
(whom you pay) all seem to be against you in this
matter.

I've asked myself the same question. All I can come up with is that no one
likes whistle-blowing. Up until now, I'm not sure which, if any, of these
maintenance issues were documented since the airplane carries no squawk sheet.
In fact I was even told on more than one occasion that the mechanic simply
"forgot".

Perhaps you approached all these people in a less
than diplomatic manner. Perhaps the problems
aren't quite as serious as you describe.

On the contrary, I couldn't have been MORE diplomatic! It's true that probably
MOST schools would not ground the airplane for a primer that won't open or a
tire that is dry and cracked, and I'm betting there are airplanes that only fly
during the day with inperable nav lights. While these items were evident
*every* time I did a preflight, I never made any demands about them. After the
100-hr, however, I felt enough slack had been given. In fact, the owner
suggested that those bulbs burn out from students flicking them on and off
during every preflight. If it's only a burned-out bulb, isn't that easy enough
to fix? Aren't they supposed to be operable whether in use or not?

I even went so far as to say in my letter that I felt our safety (not just
mine)--my CFI, mine, and the other student that I knew was flying the
airplane--were all more important to me than any rating. That doesn't mean I
don't care if I complete the training and get the license, just not if it means
having to ignore what appears, as far as I can see, to be a lack of concern for
maintenance.

Perhaps you are generally a butt-wipe and hard
to get along with. Sure doesn't sound like it in
your post but perhaps an honest assessment of
yourself is warranted if you wish to continue your
training.

This is exactly what I did before writing the letter. I thought long and hard,
but could not get past the feeling that if I didn't take a stand and somebody
got hurt, I would never forgive myself. As for me being a "butt wipe and hard
to get along with", maybe part of why this became such a huge issue is because
I kept my concerns to myself for too long. I did bring up those relatively
minor issues on prior occasions, but my CFI had a dismissive attitude about
them. I could accept that on a temporary basis, but not when the airplane comes
out of a 4-day 100-hr with NONE of them being resolved. and with even more
major things wrong in addition.

Just go somewhere else.

Looking into that now. Wasn't really asking for advice so much as just pointing
out, after it being suggested that the previous frustrated student was fearful,
that CFIs and schools sometimes contribute to rather than eliminate student
apprehensions.