Old April 14th 04, 09:37 AM
Tim Newport-Peace

In article , Carl
Buehler writes
Hello,

A member of our club who is from Germany is having trouble
getting his LXE-20 to communicate with a desktop and laptop computer.
I have tried to help but do not know much about the LX-20.

He bought his unit in Germany. And suspected it my be the serial port.
Is the serial port from europe different than our American serial port
computers?

No. they should all be to the same standard.

Problems can arise if you are using a USB/Serial Converter however.

Or could this be a software problem? He may have an older version of
software.

It could be, or it could be a cabling fault. What cable are you using?
You need to use either the two leads with small push-fit plugs (one for
power and one for data) or a special cable (a standard RS232 cable will
not do).

For cabling details look at
http://www.spsys.demon.co.uk/download.htn#LXN

This will give simple download instructions. Now click on the links
"Special Cable 3" and "but the cable is non-standard". This will give
you wiring diagrams of the two cable options.

Remember that you may need to select FAILOGGER from the LX20 menu and
press READ.

I forgot what the name of the software was, but LXE.exe comes to mind.
It almost reminds me of the old MS Dos days. We also have SeeYou
installed on this computer, But it is an older version 1.9?

Any help getting his logger to comunicate to a computer would be
appreciated.

Carl Buehler

If your cabling is correct, it may be that the COM port has been grabbed
by another program. What operating system are you using?

Check that there is not a baud rate conflict between the PC and the
LX20.

It is best to load the PC BEFORE connecting the Flight Recorder.

Good Luck,

Tim Newport-Peace

"Indecision is the Key to Flexibility."