Old October 13th 04, 11:25 PM
Mark James Boyd

In article ,
Chip Fitzpatrick wrote:
Where in this does it state that an existing pilot certificate is all
that is required???

* DOD or Federal Agency written certification attesting to the
Federal employee's US citizenship or nationality,

plus their government-issued photo ID.

I have a FAA issued pilot license and section VI says: Nationality - USA.
This is a federal agency written certification attesting to
my nationality.

I also carry a government-issued photo ID (my Calif. State driver's
license) on all flights, as required by 67 Fed. Reg. 65857 (October 28,2002).

"According to FAA Administrator Marion Blakey, FAA expects the most
commonly used photo ID will be a valid driver's license issued by a U.S.
state, the District of Columbia, or a U.S. territory or possession.
Other suitable forms of identification under the new rules include
a valid federal or state ID card, a U.S. Armed Forces' ID, credentials
that authorize access to airport secure areas, or other identification
that the FAA accepts."

When I train pilots, since I don't normally carry a photocopier with me,
I will use a small digital camera to make a "copy" of their
pilot license and appropriate photo ID. Yes it is a headache to then
ensure the digital picture I took is somewhere I can find it for 5 years.
But this is the best I can do.

Those who train foriegn pilots are worst hit.
Strawberry Aviation in Watsonville, CA, USA has lost a great deal of
business post 9/11 and expects to see worse. Hiro is the chief CFI there
and he has specialized in training Japanese pilots in the USA (they
fly from Japan to get the training, since it is so much cheaper).
I feel bad for him; he's providing a very worthwhile service.

For "rides" I'm not concerned, since these don't normally involve
the ridee touching the controls anyway.

On the other hand, student pilots coming out for the first day
(walk-ins) are a real challenge, since it is very unlikely
they will have citizen/nationality proof with them. And just like
car sales, I always feel I want to get them started, in a plane,
TODAY. This is definitely a "hassle" for them, and a business loss for me.

P.S. Does the license not apply because I'm not a "Federal employee?"
I'm gonna yawn at this nuance. If the FAA issued a license with
nationality info, and then tells me I shouldn't have relied upon that
for information, then I'm guessing there will be FAA employees with
more tempting necks on the chopping block than mine.
--

Mark J. Boyd