Old April 10th 04, 05:02 AM
Ron Rosenfeld

On Fri, 09 Apr 2004 13:50:12 -0500, "O. Sami Saydjari"
wrote:

The Approach in question is SDF RWY 2 at KISW. I was coming in from the
south, nearly lined up with the inbound course of 021 degrees. I was in
touch with ATC. The LOM/IAF is called NEPCO. The ATC asked if I wanted
"direct NEPCO." I said yes. Within about 10 miles of the airport, the
controller said that frequency change was approved. I believe I was out
of radar contact by this time (radar coverage in the area is spotty).

I don't see in your summary where the controller cleared you for the
approach??? If so, what altitude did he tell you to maintain until NEPCO?

1. Since there is no "NO PT" indicated on the chart, does that mean that
I am required to do a 180 deg turn when I reach NEPCO so I can track
outbound (201), then do a PT, then come back?

Yes

That seems a little odd to me.

Probably because we don't have all the data.

2. If so, and I am assuming it is, should I have positioned myself to
approach NEPCO at an intercept that did not require a 180 deg turn to
get to the outbound course? Maybe come at it from the east?

If you are starting out south of the airport, it seems to me to be quicker
to fly to NEPCO and then do the PT as you are losing altitude.

3. Suppose that when I reach NEPCO (IAF), I am below the cloud deck.
Assume that I have switched over to unicom frequency at that point. Is
it permissible to abort the IFR approach and turn inbound for a visual
approach. Presumably, you would have to ask ATC permission to do this.

Correct.

What if you can not raise ATC on the radio? Can you go visual on your
own?

In an emergency situation, yes. If not, try to get a relay from FSS or
another a/c.