Old September 16th 06, 10:17 AM posted to rec.aviation.military,rec.aviation.military.naval
Marco P.J. Borst

Default P-3 Orion record flights

Triggered by a recent question I am trying to find details about records
flights made by P-3 Orions. So far I found the following:

22 January 1971:
World distance record for an aircraft in its class, flown by a USN P-3C:
7010 miles (11282 km).

4 November 1972:
Class C / Group II world distance closed circuit record, flown by a USN
RP-3D of VXN-8 (BuNo 158227): 10103,51 km in 16½ hours. The aircraft's
weapons bay contained an additional fuel tank of 4543 litres which increased
the total fuel capacity to 39369 litres.

1972:
The record for the longest flight for a P-3 model is 21.5 hours, on a flight
undertaken by the Royal New Zealand Air Force's No. 5 Squadron.

I am interested in any additional details and information about the above
mentioned record flights, like the exact date, names of crew, aircraft
registration number, squadron, airfields for departure and destination,
squadron, references to publications about these record flights, etc.

I am looking forward to your replies!

Regards,
Marco P.J. Borst
P-3 Orion Research Group - The Netherlands

e-mail:
P-3 website:
http://home.planet.nl/~p3orion
MSN Messenger:
subscribe to the P-3 Orion e-mail group:

"The reward of a job well done is to have done it."