Old January 6th 05, 08:21 AM
Guy Alcala

Michael Wise wrote:

In article ,
Jim Carriere wrote:

My guess is that since maritime camouflage s not an issue and they are
on a world stage (I've seen interviews and video/still images of several
HS-2 squadron members in the last week) that they want or were directed
to colorize the flag and squadron logo.

Michael, all of the USN HSL squadrons have one aircraft with at least
some color paint (some are more artistic than others), all the other
aircraft are all gray. My guess is the HS squadrons (and probably
all the helo squadrons) do the same thing.

Makes sense. I can't recall whether or not we were doing that in HS-2 in
the 80's.

And speaking of the airlift effort, I saw an SH-60B in one of the
pictures. Those have almost zero cargo capability- to give you an
idea, removing the sono launcher pretty much doubles the useful
internal cargo room. I guess any added capability in the overall
effort is a good thing though.

One thing's for sure; there's going to be a lot of crews on the fast
track to their Sikorsky 1000, 2000, etc. hours pins.

I'd assume they must have pulled the sonar transducers/winches and probably most
oftheconsoles during the transit. I have seen what appeared to be a few MH-60s
(at least, they were gray H-60s with Blackhawk landing gear). Which reminds me,
the Commander of PACOM (what used to be called CINCPAC) said in a briefing
yesterday that the LSD Fort McHenry was bringing six more helos from Okinawa
(presumably USM)(, while the Niagara Falls, T-AFS-3, was bringing some more,
presumablyher assigned vertrep helos, from Guam. also, itwas stated that the
catamaran WestPac Express had been loaded with helos (type unstated) at Okinawa
and was on the way.

Guy