Old May 12th 06, 02:22 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Default Emergency landing theoretical

"Ol Shy & Bashful" wrote in message
oups.com...
Jim
Think of ground speed? Whats gonna happen when you finally settle to a
stop and the current takes over?

Within about 5 seconds of stopping in the water, you will be going the same
relative ground speed, (down stream) no matter which way you land. A few
knots, of drifting current speed, hitting a sudden stop on land is not going
to hurt very much.

If you are talking about decelerating from 60 knots, landing with the
current of 5 knots means you are only touching down at 55 knots. Landing
against the current means you are touching down at 65 knots. That 10 knots
sounds significant, to me.

This is all saying that you are not going to hit any land while you are
still slowing down, which is the only way I can figure your point means
anything. If that is it, I'll be trying really hard not to hit any land
until I am stopped.

What am I missing, that someone else far smarter than me has already figured
out? Id doesn't make sense to me.

All in all, wind speed and direction would be the most important factor, I
would think.
--
Jim in NC