Old January 24th 19, 01:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Frank Whiteley

Default shipping a glider

On Wednesday, January 23, 2019 at 7:17:48 PM UTC-7, S. Dimentstein wrote:
Hello , what do you know about shipping a glider and trailer in container as opposed to a roll on/ roll off type ship? Glidrr and trailer to be shippied from Bremenhaven to Houston.
Somehow HPH insists on shipping in a container. So far everybody I talked to says they got the trailer shipped on a roll on/ roll off ship.
Ideas before I approach HPH?

Depends on final destination. You are listed as a member of two East Coast chapters, but have a Colorado address. Denver is a port of entry. I was got a container estimate from Italy to Denver and it was rather cheaper than shipping to Houston then making the run and return to Houston to fetch it.. Surprised me. We didn't close the deal because the seller (while holding our deposit) sold to a club in another country. Lost $256 on converting dollars to Euros than back to dollars. Some freight forwarders do not do business with individuals, only businesses, which is another issue. Glider clubs are businesses fortunately.

Frank Whiteley
Colorado