Old January 24th 19, 07:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
AS

Default shipping a glider

On Thursday, January 24, 2019 at 11:06:03 AM UTC-5, wrote:
On Wednesday, January 23, 2019 at 8:17:48 PM UTC-6, S. Dimentstein wrote:
Hello , what do you know about shipping a glider and trailer in container as opposed to a roll on/ roll off type ship? Glidrr and trailer to be shippied from Bremenhaven to Houston.
Somehow HPH insists on shipping in a container. So far everybody I talked to says they got the trailer shipped on a roll on/ roll off ship.
Ideas before I approach HPH?

Shmuel, we are awaiting delivery of a new ASK21 that will be shipped from Schleicher in a 40' container. The container will be transferred to a truck at the Eastern seaboard and delivered to Chicago. The cost is really high, contact me direct for details.
Herb

Hi Herb,

I don't claim to be a shipping expert but that differs from my own experience! In a previous life (in the late '90), we shipped fully loaded 40ft containers from Bremerhaven to the Port of Montreal, from there by rail to Cleveland and then by truck to our warehouse. That was still far cheaper than shipping to the eastern seaboard (NYC or Baltimore) because we saved the port fees levied by US ports at the time and had shorter road hauls.
A few years ago, I helped to import a DG500 also through Bremerhaven to Charleston, SC. The trailer went into a 40ft container and IIRC, the cost for that service was under $2k. Mind you, this is a highly competitive shipping route mostly driven by the German automobile manufacturers in SC, so other routes may vary.

Uli
'AS'