Old May 11th 18, 01:13 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
kinsell

Default Flat external FLARM antenna?

On 05/10/2018 05:54 PM, Matt Herron Jr. wrote:
On Thursday, May 10, 2018 at 4:22:43 PM UTC-7, kinsell wrote:
So are you talking about Flarm or PowerFlarm?? They are different you know.

On 05/10/2018 08:07 AM, Matt Herron Jr. wrote:
Flarm antennas are a real pain for ships with carbon hulls. Coverage is always poor, especially below. Is there a way to make a perfectly flat and thin antenna that could be taped to the outside of the hull and fed through a small (1/8"?) hole? I am thinking 2 thin wire strands, or foil strips, fed through from the inside, then taped in place with wing tape. I would put one on either side of the nose for good coverage. The wires could even be longer (some wavelength ratio) for better gain. The tiny hole could easily be filled later if the install was reversed.

Any RF engineers out there care to take a shot at this?

power flarm

Ah, that's what I guessed. But I shouldn't have to guess. If you mean
Flarm, say "Flarm", and if you mean PowerFlarm, say "PowerFlarm". If
you say "Classic Flarm", hopefully people will explain to you there's no
such thing.

See the recent thread with people who are shocked that Flarm isn't
approved for use in the US or Canada.