Old March 15th 04, 11:55 PM
M. H. Greaves

what about the shuttle raids the usaaf did to poltava, then to italy? though
i'll admit i didnt see anything about russian a/c doing escort work.
"Keith Willshaw" wrote in message

"Stephen Harding" wrote in message
Was looking at a reference page for the Yak-9 where
it mentioned a model Yak-9DD which had extra fuel
tanks installed for a range of up to just under 1400
miles. The stated purpose was for the escort of
American bombers attacking Romanian oil fields.

While the many raids against Ploesti are well known,
I've never heard of Soviet fighter escort for American
bombers during any of them, or other attacks elsewhere.

In fact, I don't think that many bomber raids against
Axis targets even originated from Soviet controlled
territory throughout the war, so it would seem a
special version of Yak-9 to do long range escort would
be unlikely.

What about long range Soviet attacks requiring the
services of an enhanced range fighter? Seems long
range bombing was pretty much a British/US activity.

The Soviets had a handful of long range bombers.
The Petlyakov Pe-8 was a 4 engined bomber with a
range of 2300 miles carrying 8000lbs of bombs.
They took part in at least one raid on Berlin in August 1941
but they mostly seem to have been used as long range VIP
transports. Molotov flew from Moscow to Washington in
one IRC.

Keith