Old January 8th 06, 05:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Default Lycoming O-360 ring gear

wrote:
: Hey all. Now that my holiday travels are over, I'm planning to do some
: maintenance to my Cherokee. The ring gear has gotten chewed up over time, and now
: will sometimes not disengage while the starter is rolling it over. Worn/broken teeth,
: etc. I was pretty sure it was a 122-tooth model, but when I looked at it yesterday,
: it had the rounded tooth bottoms like the 149. I've got a Skytec starter on it (I'll
: have to look up the model number to be sure which one).

Cory, every O-360 Cherokee that I've ever seen has a 149 tooth ring gear.
In the end it doens't matter; just make sure the starter & the ring gear
match.
BTW, someone at 1B9 just replaced a ring gear on a Cherokee 180 (not me!),
the ring gear is $800.
--
Aaron C.