Old July 2nd 07, 07:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bill Daniels

Default Wing play

If you consult the maintenance manuals, you will probably find the maximum
allowable fore-aft and up-down free motion (play). For many gliders these
are amazingly large figures.

If my Nimbus 2C were at the max tolerance (which it isn't), flight could
then be fairly described as a "loose formation of glider parts".

Form my point of view, there are two types of 'play'. One is true free
motion due to clearances in the fittings. The other involves some
stick-slip action that occurs with alarming violence - this is very
worrying.

Grob 103's are prone to this. The 103's leading edge pins (spigots)
actually protrude through the sides of the rear cockpit into the side
pockets where the rear seat occupant is likely to be resting elbows. These
pins can shift inward with a loud bang numbing the rear pilots arms. Given
the complexity of Grob wing fittings, I think very little play should be
tolerated.

Bill Daniels

"Jack" wrote in message
oups.com...
I have noticed several older sailplanes with some play in the wings.
They don't seem to pull into the fuselage and have a few thousandths
play so that the wings move fore and aft, slightly. Can this be
shimmed? I know from working on L-33's that they come from the factory
with shims. Is this an acceptable fix for older glass ships?

Jack