Old July 14th 11, 05:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andy[_1_]

Default tow rope brake practice crash, what can we learn...

On Jul 14, 8:43*am, Berry wrote:
Far worse than the CFI-G in our club who was constantly warning students
about loss of airspeed due to turning downwind...

Many people argue that this is not real and base their argument on the
fact that the glider is moving in the air so the glider does not see
the wind speed difference. While that's true it ignors the very
important point that a pilot will, particularly at low altitude, and
particularly if not monitoring the ASI and yaw string, tend to make
control inputs based on the observed movement of the glider over the
ground.

The effect is real. If you haven't experienced it be thankful. The
two fatal accident after rope breaks in strong wing conditions may be
related to this.

Andy