Old August 14th 04, 12:45 PM
John Carrier

Seriously snipped.

Corner velocity, by definition, is the minimum speed at which you can
generate maximum allowable G-load. So, the corner for the F-4 relates
to 7.33+ G at most weights. We usually used 420 KIAS for the F-4
hard-wing. The max G, of course, could be considerably reduced based
on stores retained--even empty fuel tanks.

The F-4's I flew (non-slatted J) had a 6.5 limit in the fighter
configuration. There was a flight regime and gross weight where up to 8.5
G was permissible (around .7 mach ... which meant you had to be pretty low
otherwise the KIAS wasn't there ... and 37.5K). IIRC, the Vn diagram
tapered off from that peak of 8.5 at .7 IMN to 6.5 at approx 1.0 IMN. (I
suspect a function of fuselage bending loads as the center of lift moved
aft).

Any time we'd exceed 6.5, the maintenance types would get your G, mach and
weight and enter the performance charts to compute whether the over-G was
truly in or out of the envelope. Typical culprit was an unexpected
transonic pitch up at low altitudes.

Generally, the sustained turn rate was around 14-15 degrees/second for
the F-4 hard-wing and about 12.5-13.5 for the F-105.

Don't know where you got these numbers, but sustained for the F-4 was under
10 degrees/sec at combat altitudes and weights (we typically used 15K, 4+4,
no tanks, and 60% fuel) and was found at around 450 KIAS. The F-8 could do
just under 11 degrees/sec @ 400 in similar conditions (better wing, less
wing loading, not much less T/W). ... roughly a 1 degree/sec advantage. Of
course the Mig-21 (the adversary we trained for) was a couple better than
that. Still looking at under 15 degree/sec sustained.

Ignoring momentary pitch rates (which can be phenomenally high) current

fighters can exceed 20 degrees/second.

That is SUSTAINED!!!! The idea of holding 9 Gs for a while still makes
my vision dim sitting at the computer.

Many jets have a lower G limit (typically 7.5). I've timed the F-14 and
F-18 at airshows (do the T-bird solos do a max perf 360?). Of course,
whether or not the pilot is truly at max performance or not in the wind-up
turn is unknown, but a 360 (roll in to roll out) takes around 20-24 seconds,
somewhat less than 20/sec. I got a single seat A-4 (stripped adversary) to
20 degrees/sec (not quite sustained, I lost a couple knots) in a 360 @ 1,000
feet and 180 KIAS 1/2 flaps.

R / John