Old March 14th 04, 04:50 PM
Tarver Engineering

"Paul F Austin" wrote in message
. ..

"John R Weiss" wrote
"Tarver Engineering" wrote...

As the rest of the thread up to this point indicates, there is a

desire to
redirect a GPS guided munition post launch. The means to

reprogram
the munition would require some data link.

Actually, data link is NOT a hard requirement. There have been

several
initiatives in work for many years on autonomous terminal

seekers --
TLAM
is
one significant example, though it may not have used GPS. I worked

with
some
relevant JSOW (then AIWS) P3I proposals at TI and a couple other

places
back in '90 and '91.

Irrelevent.

GPS with FOG does all that already.

Fibre Optic Gyro.

GPS with a gyro of any kind does not make for post-launch reprogramming

or
retargeting of the weapon.

AMSTE (Affordable Moving Surface Target Engagement) uses a post-release

data
link to compensate for the long time of flight of the ballistic weapon

used
(JDAM).

We already discussed that and Weiss just wanted to argue.